ABOUT THIS TOUR
Let us walk you through the history of the city - from its very founding to the legalization of prostitution and gay marriage in recent times. How come this city has been one of the freest in the world? You will discover that this goes back far in history. Also, did you know that in the 17th century, Amsterdam was the richest city in the world - home to a vast trading empire? We will tell you more about how the Dutch tolerance and the country's economic might were related.
- Duration: 1.5 to 2 hours
- Language: English (Dutch on request)
- Price: tips only
- Availability: please check our calendar
- Meeting point: Dam Sq. in front of the Royal Palace (see the when and where page)
THIS TOUR WILL COVER
On this tour you will learn and talk about:
- The unusual founding of Amsterdam
- Julius Caesar in the Low Countries
- The history of the Red Light District
- Amsterdam's history as a Holy Catholic City
- The violent destruction of the churches
- Rembrandt, Van Gogh and other famous painters
- Amsterdam as the wealthy center of a global empire
- How this city helped create capitalism
- The French invasion under Napoleon
- World War II and the occupation by Nazi Germany
- Jewish history and the history of religious freedom
- And more...
WHAT TIME DO I HAVE TO BE THERE?
The Awe-inspiring Amsterdam tour leaves every working day at 9am and 1pm.
Please make sure you are there 15 minutes in advance so you don't miss the tour.
HOW DO I FIND THE TOUR GUIDE?
Look out for your Amsterdam Free Walking Tour guide holding a red and white umbrella.
In case you cannot find the tour guide, call the following number: +31 (0)6 21 64 35 28.